Sitecore is a customer experience management company that provides web content management and multichannel marketing automation software. The company was founded in 2001 in Denmark.
1998: Founding and company beginnings
In 1998 in Copenhagen, Denmark, University of Copenhagen alumni Thomas Albert, Jakob Christensen, Peter Christensen, Ole Sas Thrane, and current Sitecore CEO Michael Seifert cofounded Pentia A/S, a systems integration company that focused on implementing websites built on Microsoft technologies. At the time, building and managing websites required the expertise of a programmer or developer. Ole Sas Thrane and Jakob Christensen devised a set of methods for automating those processes and decided to turn their invention into a marketable product that would today be classified as a web content management system.
2001: CMS and Experience Profile
In 2001, Sitecore was spun off as a separate business entity that initially sold content management systems in the Danish market to IT departments. However, the company has grown into a global provider of customer experience management software targeted primarily to corporate marketing departments and marketing service providers.
Michael Seifert has been the company's CEO since its founding in 2001. His method for collecting human experience analytics data was awarded US Patent 8,255,526 in August 2012.
2011: Purchase of Pectora
- 2011 July 5: Sitecore acquired the development team and the intellectual property of Pectora, provider of web publishing solutions for deep integration with print-based projects.
2013: Purchase of Microsoft Commerce Server
- 2013 November 20: Sitecore acquired the assets of commerceserver.net for an undisclosed sum from Smith (formerly Ascentium) and took responsibility and ownership for developing, marketing, and selling Commerce Server, a former Microsoft product Sitecore announced an early access program for its Sitecore Commerce product on August 5, 2014.
2014: Purchase of Komfo
On 2014 July 8: Sitecore acquired a majority stake in Komfo, a Danish social media marketing and community engagement application provider, and introduced its social media marketing suite, Sitecore Social.
2015-present: CMS and Experience Profile
In the latter part of 2015, a portion of Sitecore's operations moved to Marina Plaza in Sausalito, California.
Sitecore is currently on version 8.2, which was initially released in August 2016.
Sitecore Experience Platform is software for content management and contextual marketing.
- Sitecore 5
- Sitecore 6.0
- Sitecore 6.1
- Sitecore 6.2
- Sitecore 6.3
- Sitecore 6.4
- Sitecore 6.5
- Sitecore 6.6
- Sitecore 7.1
- Sitecore 7.2
- Sitecore 7.5
- Sitecore 8.0
- Sitecore 8.1
- Sitecore 8.2
- Content Foundation improvements (Dependency Injection, Caching and Performance), Support for the Publishing Service (installed separately), Support for Express Migration (installed separately)
- Improve Content Testing UI, Enhanced Path Analyzer component
- Enhanced Experience Editor features, Marketing Funnels, New XP Analytics reports and charting
- Sitecore XP Accelerator (installed separately) includes all the fixes from 8.1 update 3
- Oracle 11g support + SQL Always on support, dependency injection support, EditFrame for razor views
Awards and recognition
- 2013 Forrester Research's Forrester Wave for Web Content Management for Digital Customer Experience: Leader
- 2013 Gartner Inc's Magic Quadrant for Web Content Management: Leader
- 2013 Microsoft Enterprise ISV of the Year
- 2013 EContent Magazine's Top 100 Companies in the Digital Content Industry
- 2013 CMS Critic's: People's Choice Award Winner and Critic's Choice Award Winner for Best Enterprise CMS
- 2014 Forrester Research's Forrester Wave for Digital Experience Delivery Platforms: Strong performer
- 2014 Gartner Inc's Magic Quadrant for Multichannel Campaign Management: Visionary
- 2014 Microsoft Alliance ISV Partner of the Year
- 2014 KMWorld 100 Companies That Matter in Knowledge Management
- 2015 Forrester Research's Forrester Wave for Web Content Management Systems : Leader
- ^ "Pentia: About Us". Retrieved .
- ^ Thrane and Christensen, United States Patent 7,856,345, Method for building and managing a web site, December 2010
- ^ "Sitecore triples size in Sausalito move". North Bay Business Journal. 2014-08-04.
- ^ Seifert and Christensen, United States Patent 8,255,526, "A method for collecting human experience analytics data", August 2012
- ^ "Sitecore Adds Print Media to Customer Engagement Platform via Acquisition". CMS Wire. July 5, 2011. Retrieved 2014.
- ^ "Sitecore Acquires Commerceserver.net to Extend .NET CXM Play". Gartner Inc. November 27, 2013. Retrieved 2014.
- ^ "Social media marketing from Sitecore". KM World. July 14, 2014. Retrieved 2014.
- ^ "Sitecore Technical Debt". sagittarius.agency. Retrieved .
- ^ Lamont, Judith (February 2016). "Marketing automation's role in personalization and contextualization". KM World. Available from: Business Source Premier. 25 (2): 29. ISSN 1099-8284.
- ^ "The Forrester Wave: Web Content Management for Digital Customer Experience, Q2 2013". Gartner Inc. 8 April 2013.
- ^ "Gartner MQ for Web Content Management 2013". Retrieved .
- ^ "Microsoft announces winners and finalists of 2013 Sales Achievement program". 2014-07-30. Retrieved .
- ^ "The Top 100 Companies in the Digital Content Industry: The 2013-2014 EContent 100". 2013-12-02. Retrieved .
- ^ "2013 Critic's Choice Winner for Best Enterprise CMS". 2013-11-12. Retrieved .
- ^ "The Forrester Wave: Digital Experience Delivery Platforms, Q3 2014". Forrester Research. 22 July 2014.
- ^ "Magic Quadrant for Multichannel Campaign Management". Gartner Inc. 21 May 2014.
- ^ "Congratulations 2014 WPC Partner of the Year Award Winners and Finalists!". Retrieved .
- ^ "KMWorld 100 Companies That Matter in Knowledge Management". 2014-03-01. Retrieved .
- ^ "The Forrester Wave(TM): Web Content Management Systems, Q1 2015". Forrester Research, Inc. 4 February 2015.